Sunday, March 1, 2009

The "Good Black Man"


All my black ladies, (or gentlemen if thats how you like it) what things define a man as being a "good black man"????? At first, I never really put any thought into this but when I read this post from Brown Sugar 28, it really opened my eyes to what black culture now accepts from our men in order to be called a "Good Black Man". And honestly, what we accept is quite sad ..... take a look at an excerpt from the post:

"Usually the determination of a black man being “good” involves a combination of the following:

1. College educated
2. Not college educated but
3. Employed
4. Doesn’t have kids or
5. Has kids but takes care of them

If the man in question has any three of the five he’s deemed good and definitely marriageable and therefore worth holding on to for dear life.

But I’m with Chris Rock when it comes to this kind of thinking: When did we start giving brothers cookies for
doing what they’re supposed to do?

Last I checked any of the five above are minimum basic requirements. Those are just starting points where I might be willing to listen to your pitch as to why I should even think about giving you my number. And in my world, college educated is a must and it’s not good enough for you to just be employed. You need a career, not just a job.

Why, as black women, are we willing to accept so little. I know plenty of men who offer the bare minimum in the way of the five above, yet walk around like they’re the best thing since sliced bread; that I should be grateful that they took the time to bless me with their presence.

Yeah. Okay."

You can read more of this post HERE.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lol, lil sad but
there are a bag full of black men
with real determination and qualities. A lotof my male friends fit in this bill. My message ladies you do not have to settle for less!!
I've been saying this for weeks WHERE IS MY OBAMA? lol
I SHALL SAY NO MORE

br!t.br!t. said...

lol yesss i totally agree with you and ur lucky to have some of those guys that are in that bag, im still searching