Wednesday, February 18, 2009

That "Good Hair"

Recently, idk what to do with my hair. I have a perm (sadly) and my hair has been getting thinner and im just not feeling it. I want to do something different but i just cant put my hand on it. I've always wanted to go back to natural hair.... but the transition phase is just too crazy. I dont think im ready for that just yet, So its between tracks (weave) or some afrocentric braids...... any suggestions?



But this brings me to my next subject!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Chris Rock has a new film called "Good Hair" out, which i've been really interested in seeing. The documentary explores the stigma associated to african american hair as being "bad hair". And it all started when Rock's daughter, Lola, came to him crying asked "Daddy, how come I don't have good hair?". This led Chris on a trip around the world to find the source that put this thought into his daughter's head.


In the film, which is directed by Jeff Stilson, Chris travels to local hair salons, styling competitons and even ends up in India to find where all that weave comes from and why black culture needs it so. He interviews celebs like Nia Long, Al Sharpton, Ice T, and Maya Angelou for their insight on the issue and their own experiences. And ultimately, Chirs comes down to the cold and harsh truth that the answer his daughter is seeking is alot more complicated than it may seem


To see the full article, and official website for Chris Rock's Good Hair, click here ...




--------- my thoughts ---------------



I'm so excited to see this film and I can't wait until HBO finally airs it. This topic is one that has long been looked over or brushed aside in the black community. And this will finally shed some light to the ugly stigma that follows women who dont necessarily share the 3 requirements to hair beauty. (Long, Straight & Silky)



It seems like every black female star we see must have the long weave pass their shoulders to be pretty. I would really like to see what half of them look like without the weave and just be satisfied with their own "god-given hair", as my mom would say.


But I'm not a hater or anything don't get me wrong. I'm an avid supporter of weave, extensions or whatever you want to call it. I've tried it all. But its just time that any kind of hair you have can be considered completely beautiful hair.

1 comment:

Celebrity In The Makin' said...

Hello, I so agree!!! Hair is hair...
thanks for visitin my site!!!